The Pandora is a vacuum tube based digital-to-analog converter with one USB and three SPDIF inputs.
Signature offers true native DSD 1x and 2x functionality over USB and 1x DSD over SPDIF (AES/EBU, RCA Coax and Toslink). The entire DSP processing section is replaced. The new section includes an advanced Xilinx gate-array which allows the DSP to be completely bypassed for pure DSD 1x and 2x operation. No alteration of DSD data occurs. Many DACs in the market that claim to play DSD actually convert the data to PCM and thereby completely lose the purpose of DSD operation.
Vishay Z-Foil Resistors
In addition to the DSP processing section, an entirely new analog board is installed. This new analog board also allows DSD data to pass directly to the DAC, a Burr-Brown PCM1792A running in pure differential mode. Extremely low noise, high linearity Vishay Z-foil audio resistors are utilized in the critical current-to-voltage conversion stage.
As in all Saturn Signature products, critical coupling capacitors are replaced with Dynamicaps from Peter Moncrief. Four are installed between the vacuum-tube gain stage and output stage, all in full differential mode. These provide increased resolution, less grain, greater high-frequency extension and naturalness, all while maintaining the basic strengths of Romulus’ tonal balance. The eight 2uF output capacitors are replaced with 4uF Dynamicaps which provide greater resolution in addition to improved bass definition, drive and dynamics.
The four standard rubber feet are replaced with Harmonic Resolutions Systems’ Nimbus Couplers specially made for Aesthetix. This change lowers the noise floor and adds more air and space.
- Card-based DAC with three digital input slots.
- AES/EBU, RCA Coax, Toslink standard on digital input 1 slot.
- AES/EBU and RCA Coax SPDIF capable of 192KHz / 24 bit.
- Digital section capable of the following frequencies: 32KHz, 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, all with 24 bit resolution.
- USB standard on digital input 2 slot.
- USB capable of class 1 audio (96KHz, 24bit) and class 2 audio (192KHz, 24bit).
- 2nd USB input optional.
- Asynchronous transfer mode for USB input, licensed from Gordon Rankin / Wavelength Technologies. This technology allows for jitter levels over a hundred times lower than previous USB solutions.
- DSP based digital section using Motorola DSP56362 for digital filters.
- DAC section based on Burr-Brown PCM1792A.
- Analog section featuring four vacuum tubes in differential configuration (2x 12AX7, 2x 6DJ8/6922).
- Zero feedback analog circuitry.
- Balanced and single-ended outputs.
- Volume control optional, allows DAC to drive a power amplifier directly. Relay-based switched resistor analog/digital design.
- Remote control of all functions.
- Multiple stainless steel faraday cages isolate critical digital, analog and power supply sections.
- Three transformers, one for critical digital circuits, one for analog circuits and one for control functions.
- All aluminum chassis construction.
- RS232 control.
- 12v trigger.
- Available in black or silver faceplate.
- Unit Weight: 35 Lbs
- Dimensions: 18″ width x 4 3/8″ height x 18″ depth